Thursday, May 14, 2009
Week 2, day 4
I decided to concentrate on the signs today and make a schedule so I would know how much time I needed to finish them. I drew squares on the pieces of wood to make sure every letter would be the same size and aligned across the board. I then sketched out every letter making sure they fit inside the box and weren't to close to each other. Since I was going to router, it would take off 1/16th of an inch on each side of the line I drew. After sketching each letter on all three signs, I took a piece of scrap wood to get used to the router and making sure I was comfortable using it. Once I practiced and was comfortable, I moved on to the signs and routered all three. I then started to work on my paddle. The fiber glass was done drying so I cut off the extra that was hanging off each side and sanded the edges since cut fiber glass is very sharp after being epoxied. I then needed to cut pieces that didn't set right off of the paddle blades. The bubbles of fiber glass that don't set well can make a weak spot so it's better to cut them out then fill in the gap with epoxy. Once they were the way I wanted, I put another coat of epoxy on them and hung them up to dry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment